Monday 9 June 2008

Cartoon time From rough idea to finish piece

How I draw cartoons in different stages. First the brain storming...any idea is jotted down even if it won't be used. I often do little rough sketches I don't often write it. Just let your mind run wild...what can a hook do..a line...a fish...?














Next I choose the best jokes and draw it up here in pencil. I use a rubber to change things around. Sometimes I have to start again from the beginning if there is too much to rub out. As I don't want to smudge the paper too much. When I'm happy it will reach this stage.


A clearer image to show the pencil line as requested.



At this stage changes can still happen. The cooker switch I want to change to show its on. The hat the fish hangs up will be retouched by a mouse as I didn't draw it big enough. The cooker was made less wider to show space between this and the suitcase. The rings on the cooker will be moved by mouse to line it up more. The wording for I like it well done will be moved closer together. The lines and wording will be thickened up by clicking on it with black. I draw with a thin pen which I prefer though the line can be too thin.



I'll show the next stage shortly. When the pen line and changes are done and is ready for colouring.

The finished piece.
I try and make the colours show up, not too dark, so the line or drawing don't get lost. Also balancing the colours...e.g orange, brown on left side and right side.
So heres Fishy Tales 2.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you need to add a bit of contrast to the pencil-sketches, PETER......you can do this on photobucket, also, go over your roughs with an HB pencil helps, if only for illustrational purposes......a good idea for a subject, though....

ISPYSHHHGUY.

Anonymous said...

A nice example now, PETER.......nice and clear, better than the one I done last SUNDAY....your stages of work are shaping up nicely!

ISPYSHHHGUY.

Peter Gray said...

Thanks spy.I like your work as well. I'm more of an silly ideas person...your work has a zany mood about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm intruiged about how you are able to move lines around to alter the drawing, PETER......how is this done?----where do you transfer the finished drawing to? [I assume you don't draw straight onto screen by drawing tablet].



ISPYSHHHGUY.

Peter Gray said...

Using the art program you can grab lines by selecting them....a line square/rectangle surrounds the area you want to move...once selected it is dragged with the mouse to the place you want it. Sometimes it takes more than you want...But you just redraw the line using the mouse. The art program has lines (you can make as long as you want) which come out straight so you don't have to move the mouse very carefully.
I use Serif PhotoPlus 7.0 Which does the functions I need though basic.

Anonymous said...

yes, but are your cartoons generated by computer altogether, or do you scan in original sketches first, then modify them?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject; I 've only ever drawn by hand....


ISPYSHHHGUY

Peter Gray said...

I first draw in pencil.....then in pen....scan the finished pen drawing into the art program...change small mistakes ...small details like the hat..using the mouse as a rubber and pen and other functions...then colour....I also resize it on the computer...then print out...So mostly its done by pen and paper.

Anonymous said...

OKAY-----GOT IT!



ISPYSHHHGUY.